1. Direct installation
These instructions will allow you to:
- Fire the Sitewide pixel on a page visit
- Fire the Checkout pixel on a checkout page
If you want to fire the pixel when a button or link is clicked, or on any other event, please see the more advanced “2. Google Tag Manager Setup” section below instead.
- Start with the Sitewide pixel. This pixel should be included on all pages of your site.
- Copy the pixel code from your Decibel account’s Pixel page:
- The pixel code will look like this:
<script defer src="https://attribution.decibelads.com/tag/....."></script>
- Paste this code as the first item in the <head> element of every web page you want to track.
- Move on the Checkout pixel.
- Copy the Checkout pixel code from your Decibel account’s Pixel page as above.
- As above, paste this pixel code as the first item in the <head> element of your checkout page. This can be the “Thank you” page shown to visitors after they’ve completed an online purchase. The pixel will fire as soon as the page is loaded.
2. Google Tag Manager Setup
When setting up Google Tag Manager with the Decibel pixel, you should always have the “Sitewide” event from Decibel trigger on the default “All Pages” trigger event.
To setup the Sitewide event:
1. Go to the Decibel ads dashboard and click on your the menu under your email in the top right.
This is what the menu will look like expanded
Click on “Pixels” to go to the page with the pixels for your account.
2. Copy the URL for the “Sitewide” pixel from the Advanced Installation for Google Tag Manager section.
3. Go to your Google Tag Manager dashboard (It should look like this)
Then you want to click on “Tags” in the left hand sidebar.
4. You should have arrived at this screen
Now we’ll create our tag. Name it in the top left hand corner something easy to remember like “Decibel Pixel”
5. Next, click “Tag Configuration” and scroll down to “Custom Image” and select it.
6. Once you select “Custom Image”, you’ll need to place the URL you copied earlier from Decibel into the “Image Url” field in Google Tag Manager.
7. Check the "Enable Cache Busting" option.
You then need to associate the tag with a triggering event. “All pages” should be a default triggering event. Select that option.
8. Once that is done, click save in the top right hand corner and then similarly submit in the top right hand corner and you’re done!
To install the checkout tag in Google Tag Manager: follow the same steps as step 1 - 6 for the Sitewide pixel, but this time use the “Checkout” URL found in your Decibel pixel page.
For firing the pixel on a page load e.g., a dedicated “Thank you” URL, please refer to the following documentation from Google:
To setup a click trigger e.g., a specific “Submit” or “Purchase” button, please refer to the following documentation from Google: